Book a private course
Estimating and Planning Technical Documents – Training Course Outline
You’ve been asked to produce a budget for documentation for the next financial year. Whether you’re going to outsource or produce the Help, guides and training material in-house, how do you know how much it’s going to cost and how long it’s going to take – and how do you plan it?
What you will learn on this course
By the end of the course, you will know:
- What factors you need to consider when estimating for documentation projects
- Typical productivity rates for the various stages in the process
- A general approach to high level planning for any type of technical document
How we deliver the course
The course is half a day. We also offer consultancy for individuals or small groups who wish to have more in-depth training. Please contact us for details.
- Alternative methods of estimating
- An overview of the planning process
When you book we send you a questionnaire which we ask you to return to us before you attend the course. This enables our Trainers to assess your needs in advance.
2. The basic principles of estimating
- Basic and detailed metrics
- Information sources
- Productivity rates
3. How to estimate for creating printed materials
- User guides and procedures
- Training material
- Advertising copy
4. How to estimate for creating online material
5. Typical metrics for the various production stages
- Drafts and reviews
- Linking, creating cross-references etc.
- Typesetting, indexing, compiling etc.
6. Tools to help you
- Basic ‘quick guide’ estimates
- More detailed estimating
Planning a document
- Clarifying your purpose
- Analysing your audience
- Selecting your information
- Designing your structure
Want Something a Little Different?
Give us a call today and we will tailor a course to suit you!
2. Clarifying your purpose
- Setting a clear objective
- Typical objectives
3. Analysing your audience
- Knowing your audience
- Questions to ask
- Dealing with a mixed audience
4. Selecting your information
- Sources of data
- Gathering information
5. Designing your structure
- Tools of the trade
- Basic structure
- Alternative structures
For details of timetabled courses, see the schedule.
To reserve your places you can book on-line, book a private course or call us on +44 (0)844 445 7743.