New! Book an open course. Virtual Classroom on 28 Jul 2020. Cost £395Book a private course, your choice of date and venue (office or virtual classroom)
Business Writing Training – Brush Up Your English Course Outline
In this world of text and emails does anyone really care if we make the odd grammatical mistake or write rambling sentences with little or no punctuation?
Well, actually yes. Lots of people do! Bad grammar and punctuation make even the simplest business writing harder to read. Grammatical mistakes can cause your colleagues, boss and clients to perceive you as less bright than you actually are!
Training in correct grammar and punctuation is essential for business writing if clients or any stakeholders might read your documents – mistakes reflect badly on the entire company, with the public very quick to mock you on social media.
It doesn't matter whether you are writing an email, a letter or a report – good business grammar is going to help you reach your audience and get the result you want – without annoying them with simple mistakes. On this business grammar course, you will learn how to overcome some of the most common grammar challenges and how to communicate in an effective and professional way.
See our free apostrophe catastrophe presentation on getting those pesky apostrophes right!
What you will learn on this brush up your English course
By the end of this business writing course, you will know how to:
- Recognise and avoid the common grammatical mistakes that everybody makes
- Choose the right kind of words for your reader and make your writing sharp and concise
- Avoid doubt and uncertainty when writing more complex sentences
- Use punctuation properly – and learn why it's necessary to do so
- Recognise and avoid commonly-confused words or miss-spelt words
- Use Word™ features to check your document
- Write good business correspondence that conveys your meaning accurately and professionally
What our customers say
“Great fun, thought provoking and an undoubted benefit to improved writing.”
JG – DK Architects
“Excellent pace all subjects covered well without going into too much detail. A clear simple method to ensure the information sunk in.”
GH – eMap Automotive
“Good refresher and I picked up a few things I didn't know previously.”
IS – Microsoft
How we deliver the brush up your English course
It is available as :
Private courses (at your premises or online virtual classrooms)
We adopt a flexible approach so that even our standard courses are tailored to your needs. Our trainers are all professional writers as well as experienced trainers. They use their judgment on the day to adjust the content and pace of the course so that delegates get the training that is right for them. This is done by:
- Discussing your requirements with you before the course
- Assessing the pre-course questionnaires
- Discussing with the delegates at the start of the course their objectives and outcomes
- Checking throughout the day that objectives are being met.
We can also further adapt the course by:
Our open courses in London
We specialise in small class sizes so that you get personal time with the tutor.
We deliver our brush up your English course at venues in central London, all easily accessible by public transport. All the rooms have natural daylight, independent air conditioning and free Wi-Fi.
If your journey into London means an early start, don’t worry; on your arrival you can have a light and tasty breakfast of fresh bread, pastries, cereals and fruit. Throughout the day there's an endless supply of freshly brewed coffee and speciality teas as well as chilled water, fruit and homemade snacks. Most venues also provide a hot lunch and all can cater to special dietary requirements.
Brush Up Your English Course Contents
1. Grammar – why it matters
- Why bad grammar can wreck your career!
- Lots of examples of bad grammar and where they went wrong
When you book we send you a questionnaire which we ask you to return to us before you attend the course. This enables our Trainers to assess your needs in advance.
2. Choosing your words
- Getting the tone of your document right
- Recognising the padding you can cut out and the words you should leave in
- Knowing when to write affect or effect, their, there or they're (and many other commonly confused words)
- Other common traps and how to avoid them
- Things that make some people cross!
- Handy WordŽ tools you never knew were there
3. Grammar basics – the building blocks of a sentence
- Nouns – what are they and how do you use them?
- Using prepositions to explain what's going on
- Articles – definite, indefinite; knowing when the article is not needed
- Verbs – a quick overview
- Adjectives and adverbs, their uses and abuses
Want Something a Little Different?
Give us a call today and we will tailor a course to suit you!
4. Building sentences
For the timetable of all courses see the schedule.
To reserve your places you can book a public course, book a private course, call us on +44 (0)1235 60 30 22 or email .
Plain Words Ltd
The Documentation &
tel 01235 60 30 22
Keep your business writing current, clear and concise
All our courses are available as online remote training sessions