Book a private course
Get That Job! – Training Course Outline
If you are facing redundancy or just looking for a new job, getting another position as soon as possible is likely to be your top priority. But if you’re finding it difficult to take that first step it may be that you are lacking the confidence to start again. And that’s not surprising. For many of you it will have been a long time since you wrote a CV or went for an interview and these will seem like impossible hurdles.
We are uniquely qualified to help you. Not only do we specialise in writing skills training, we are also a recruitment agency–which means we understand the job market better than most.
Our ‘Get that job!’ course is designed to give job seekers the confidence they need to take the first step. It’s not just about spelling, grammar and punctuation. You must make a potential employer interested enough to find out more about you. The course covers hints, tips and techniques that will get your CV noticed and how to write the all-important covering letter or email.
The next step is the interview. Our course tells you what to expect at interview, shows you how to prepare, and gives you techniques and information to help improve your confidence and impress the interviewers.
If you are looking for a job, make your own good luck by attending this course and improve your chances of success.
What you will learn on this CV writing course
By the end of the course, you will know how to:
- Write a compelling CV
- Tailor the CV for each job application
- Write a covering letter that gets you noticed
- Prepare for the interview
- Make the most of the interview
How we deliver the course
This is a one-day course.
It is available as a private tutor-led course at your premises.
Delegates practise writing CVs and covering letters or emails, learning the techniques through group discussion, exercises and working on your own job applications. You have the opportunity to practise interviewing skills, working in groups of delegates.
You also have the option of:
For more information, give us a call or email
1. Writing a compelling CV
- How not to do it–an introductory look at some job applications
- Understanding the function of a CV
- Who are you and what have you got?
- What to include and what to leave out
- Getting information in the correct order
- Writing style–sounding like a real person
- The advantages of note form, and some useful phrases
- Avoiding common grammatical and punctuation mistakes
- How to make it look good–some templates you can try
- Giving your CV that final polish
When you book we send you a questionnaire which we ask you to return to us before you attend the course. This enables our Trainers to assess your needs in advance.
2. It’s all about what they want
- Understanding how recruiters read CVs
- Why you need to tailor your CV
- Reading their requirements accurately–how to decode job ads
- Things to take into consideration
- How to tailor your CV
- They want me to fill in a form! I hate filling in forms!
3. Writing the covering letter or email
- Letter or email, which is best?
- One size won’t fit all–covering letters for different situations
- Laying out a business letter
- Observing email etiquette
- How to get your application noticed–they won’t be fooled by gimmicks
4. Preparing for the interview
- Researching your potential employer
- Preparing a list of questions–a checklist to get you thinking
- Anticipating and preparing for the questions they will ask you
- Looking the part–getting your appearance right
- Preparing yourself mentally–unless they’re hiring actors, get comfortable with being yourself
- Different types of interviewers and their objectives
- How to handle telephone interviews
Want Something a Little Different?
Give us a call today and we will tailor a course to suit you!
5. Making the most of the interview
- They aren’t really out to get you–what interviews are for
- How to greet the interviewer
- Some interview do’s and don’ts
- Handling more than one interviewer
- What difficult questions might come up and how to deal with them
- Closing the interview
6. When the best person doesn’t get the job
- Finding out why you were unsuccessful–what sort of feedback can you realistically expect?
- Refining your approach to increase your chances
For details of timetabled courses, see the schedule.
To reserve your places you can book on-line, book a private course or call us on +44 (0)844 445 7743.